Posted on Tue, 30 September 2014 in Expert-dog-behaviorist-trainers-videos
Top 10 ways dogs are smarter than you think!
Brian Hare - Dognition
Brian Hare, director of the Duke Canine Cognition Center, co-author of The Genius of Dogs, and co-founder of Dognition, tells you the 10 ways dogs are smarter than you might think! The list is below but listen to the video for more background explanation.
- Dogs can communicate better with humans than our closest primate relatives, chimpanzees.
- Dogs learn words the way kids do. Human kids.
- We didn`t domesticate dogs. Dogs domesticated themselves.
- Four words: Survival of the friendliest. Dogs got smarter when they got nicer.
- Your dog can hug you with his eyes!
- Dogs learn faster by watching people -- so careful what you do in front of your dog.
- A man is four times more likely to get someone`s phone number if he has a dog with him.
- A Border Collie in South Carolina knows the names of over 1,000 toys. Which also means someone bought a dog 1,000 toys!
- Dogs can get you out of a colonoscopy by sniffing your breath for colon cancer.
- They live in our houses, sleep in our beds, and we happily pick up their poop. How many animals can say that
To find out if your own dog is smarter than you think (or maybe you think he`s pretty smart already and want to prove it!) take a look at the Dognition tests. To view some Dognition tests in action you can watch more on Clickety Clips: Dognition`s sample arm pointing game, and Dogntion in action with a variety of dogs and their owners.
More for those wanting to better understand how to train animals...
The Premack Principle (or `Grandma`s rule) asserts that more probable...
For those interested in the science behind the processes of counter...